The Technology Application and Promotion Institute (TAPI) created by virtue of Executive Order No. 128 on 30 January 1987, is one of DOST's service agencies whose primary responsibility is to promote the commercialization of technologies and market the services of other operating units of the Department.
On 28 April 1992, TAPI's function was expanded by virtue of RA 7459 otherwise known as the "Inventors and Invention Incentives Act of the Philippines". Among others, TAPI administers the Invention Development Assistance Fund for the initial experiments and prototype development and other invention-development related activities.
A strategic partner in advancing national socio-economic growth by advocating a culture of innovation and promoting globally-competitive and useful technologies.
TAPI shall promote an effective and efficient innovation system towards the adoption and utilization of inventions, innovations, and services.
To attain this mission, TAPI shall:
- Encourage the use of the intellectual property system and provide IP and IP-related services;
- Provide comprehensive assistance packages for inventions/innovations;
- Actively support activities geared towards the promotion of creativity and capacity-building within the innovation system;
- Facilitate business development of technologies; and
- Promote and strengthen partnerships and linkages with and among stakeholders.
- Serve as the implementing arm of the DOST in promoting the commercialization of technologies and in marketing the services of the other operating units of the Department;
- Undertake contract research, particularly at pilot plant and semi-commercial stage;
- Provide technical consultancy including engineering design services, patenting and licensing services;
- Provide grants and venture financing for new and emerging projects;
- Administer the Invention Development Assistance Fund (IDAF) for the initial experiments and prototype development and other invention development-related activities;
- Assist technology generators, inventors, and researchers avail of the laboratories and other facilities of the Research and Development Institutes including DOST Regional Offices and other government agencies, offices, and instrumentalities; and
- Accredit and recognize inventors' associations throughout their activities.
- Office of the Director (OD) - responsible for the overall direction, supervision and operations of all units of the Institute.
- Technology Information and Promotion Division (TIPD) - responsible for the elevation of level of awareness and the promotion of the innovation system strategies.
- Investment & Business Operation Division (IBOD) - responsible in providing financial support and business operations' improvement services.
- Invention Development Division (IDD) - responsible in improving financial support for the use of the intellectual property system and business development of inventions and technologies.
- Finance and Administration Division (FAD) - responsible for the financial and administration support services.